Thursday, April 21, 2011

I was six once and oh so creative !!!!


What are your earliest memories of creativity?  How old were you?  What was the triggering event, person, whatever?

So this box above originally housed a block of Velveeta cheese (man cave cooking at his finest).  I nearly threw it out.  But as my fingers touched the cardboard it was a flood of memories that met me.  All the way back to probably around six years old.  I remember being at my grandmothers house (I lived with her about 3/4 time) and holding an empty oatmeal box.  You know the one with that cheerful man on the front!  Oh that box was so cool and I can remember thinking that there MUST be some really rockin' thing I could do with that box.  Wow, a blast of memory about creativity......There was  a lot of fertile ground in me back then......

So.  I'm not going to throw this box out.  I don't know if I'll actually do something with it or not, but I do know that it will occupy a special place in my studio as a reminder that I am creative and fertile and full of possibility.

What about you?  I'd love to hear about your creative beginnings.


6 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Painting on a Velveeta box was one of my very first Art boxes when I was 10...my Aunt Pat encouraged me to paint on every scrap of papers and boxes I could possibly get my hands of for a drawing surface. Party on lady and enjoy the ride! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

I was a bundle of creativity when young, everything became something else in my hands and imagination. I wove adventures and created my own paper dolls & designed their cloths. But I was an odd ball in a family that was very practical and pragmatic, creativity had little value. Still I'm reconnecting to that part of me in these last years and it's been wonderful.
Looking forward to seeing if you find just the right idea for that box :-)

Linda said...

I had a blanket when I was a baby . . . kept as a "comfey" into grade school. I asked my mother to mend it. She refused my request, think I should put it away for good. Because I didn't agree, I went to her thread tin, found the most beautiful colors and began stitching up the worn spots. I've been stitching ever since!

Linda said...

I had a blanket when I was a baby . . . kept as a "comfey" into grade school. I asked my mother to mend it. She refused my request, think I should put it away for good. Because I didn't agree, I went to her thread tin, found the most beautiful colors and began stitching up the worn spots. I've been stitching ever since!

Anonymous said...

What a great post about memory and creativity! Those memories of childhood are so strong--and you didn't lose your creativity, you just put it down. There's a cute story I love about the little girl who asks her dad what he does for work. "I teach college students how to do art," the dad replies. The little girl is surprised. "You mean, they forget?!"

I started to write when I was really young--mostly odd little stories I made up. My mom thought I should learn needle arts, but I had little talent for it. Nevertheless, I have all sorts of tablecloths and napkins, kitchen towels and pillow cases that are embroidered. I had to complete a certain amount each day. I played with clay when I was really young, and turned to sketching when I was in middle school.

cookievf said...

Love this post and so glad I popped by. I came across your comment RANDOMLY today from.... three years ago?

Typically i follow my intuitions, and here I am - lol.

So timely because i have notes right here on my keyboard to post about chilhood creativity! So please drop by when you can to see what I've been up to - and check back in a few days for my "reply post!"

- vicki xo
PS I love beer and husbands too :D