Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Tale's Of The Captain's Wife


Have you read "Ahab's Wife"? I read this book several years ago and simply fell in love with the bold adventure of a woman. A woman who ventured where none had gone before.

I have this vision in my mind of Ahab's wife.
Probably quite different from the one imagined by the author.

Before me stands the blank piece of wood.
Edges smoothed.
A first layer of background paint,
lovingly applied.

I'm thinking of the wife, her beautiful hair
blowing in the sea breeze. Waiting for her
man to return.

A saint, really.
Any woman with a man out to
sea and no definite return date
is really a saint in my book !

These days the image in my mind often runs
quite contradictory to what flows from my
brush, but once again I am going to set out
with the vision before me and we'll see where
it goes.

Stay tuned, this could get interesting.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Paula, this sounds so interesting and inspiring! I look forward to the things your imagination AND brush will lead you to!:)
love
Andrea