Sunday, August 29, 2010

Why does every artist statement have to have this looooooooonnnnngggg drawn out philosophy on the meaning of life and how art has transformed, communicated, placated and practically created a cure for cancer?  Well, maybe not ALL artist statements but many of them.  Jeez, by the time I'm to the end of that run on sentence turned monologue I can't even remember why I'm reading the danged thing in the first place.

I'd like my artist's statement to read, "hi folks, I like to paint, I hope you like what I paint, please buy my paintings".


Am I seriously thwarting my chances in the art world if I don't use some, deep, fancy, schamcy artist statement?

And Hey, did you notice there is no image with this?  Well, Iris (grand daughter) wants some water in her kiddie pool so you folks are going to have to just imagine an image while I go out and fill the pool. Hey, a girl's gotta do.....................................

Just a few thoughts for a quiet Sunday afternoon..................just sayin'........................................

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found this website very useful: http://10gallon.com/statement2000/
(giggle)

Anonymous said...

Chewy's Artist Statement

Through my work I attempt to examine the phenomenon of Magilla Gorilla as a methaphorical interpretation of both Keith Haring and smoking.

What began as a personal journey of nuts-ism has translated into images of hotdogs and elbows that resonate with Irish people to question their own greenness.

My mixed media cats embody an idiosyncratic view of Mahatma Ghandi, yet the familiar imagery allows for a connection between Andy Warhol, animals and beets.

My work is in the private collection of Zsa Zsa Gabor who said 'Whoo-Hoo!, that's some real gorgeous Art.'

I am a recipient of a grant from Folsom Prison where I served time for stealing mugs and tie clips from the gift shop of The MOMA. I have exhibited in group shows at Mickey D's and Leo Castelli, though not at the same time. I currently spend my time between my closet and Berlin.

Julie Prichard said...

NOooooooooooo...for pete's sake...keep it short..more time to paint. :)

MB Shaw said...

I have a friend (a glass artist) whose artist statement is really great. I can't remember his exact words, but it's something like - "I'm a pyro and I love to blow glass, but I don't like to write about it so much." That is a horrible paraphrase but I think you get the point.

I combine my statement and my Bio for the shows and folks seem to enjoy that quite a bit.

Brigitte aka Scrappassie said...

LOL found this old post and had a good laugh ;-) My statement is exactly yours, except for the 'please buy my paintings' .. I am pretty new to painting and I can't imagine anyone actually paying for the silly stuff I make ! I'll even take it a bit further ... most important for me is that I like my paintings (although the little compliments are wonderful). Anyway, won't buy your art, barely enough money to buy my own artsupplies, but I DO love your work !