Tuesday, March 18, 2008

WHERE TO GO FROM HERE

How many of you artists out there stick to just one style. Say for instance, all birds, all abstract, portraits only, landscapes only?

I struggle with wanting to visit around with different techniques and styles. But if I do this, is it at the expense of professional branding? The majority of my art revolves around mixed media on canvas. Recently I've become aware of an encaustic workshop and would love to learn this technique.

From a business standpoint I understand how important it is to focus on the product, the branding, the marketing. Staying clear in the eye of your audience. What does that do to creativity though? Being someone who is always curious about the creative process yet needing to stay marketable, where is the balance achieved? Is there ever a balance?

Ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts on the matter? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only speak for myself. I have to do whatever is in my heart. I change all the time and grow. I feel if you are growing your work must change. In order to be able to do that and not worry about the market, I work a job. Yes, it gives me less time to paint, but I have the freedom to paint what I feel to. I would personally go crazy trying to paint for the "market". One day after enough sales, people will buy no matter what you do, because it is you:-), at least I hope so. I also feel that my work has a certain feeling that is "me"
no matter what media I work in or what I paint, people that love your work will usually go with the flow.
I trust my heart, above all.
paint

Karen Smithey said...

I haven't figured this out yet, either. I just started doing my faces/girls last September--before that it was much more collage type stuff...

I think, though, that I agree with Annie--paint from the heart.